Faculty and Staff Training and Development in Online and Blended Learning Technologies
The Online and Blended Learning (OBL) Team of Information Management Services (IMS) provides course design consultation and assistance, technology training for Blackboard Learn, tools and training on software used in developing e-learning or blended (up to 80% online and atleast 20% face-to-face) learning materials.
Course Design Consultation
- OBL team members are available for individual consultations.
- Each official course (a course with an official course number which is created by the REGISTRAR) may receive up to 4 hours instructional design consultation from an OBL team member.
Faculty / Staff Development Workshops - OBL offers workshops on a variety of Blackboard and instructional technology related topics. In spring of 2013, as a result of an audit by UT Internal Audit, the Vice President of Academic, Faculty and Student Affairs issued the following training requirements for individuals requesting INSTRUCTOR status in a Blackboard course.
Training Recommendation for Faculty Teaching Online or Blended Courses
- Faculty or Teaching Assistant - requesting an INSTRUCTOR or TEACHING ASSISTANT role in any Blackboard course must complete a one hour Fundamentals Training in a face to face, online or individual format, per telephone/shared desktop or video-conference. To register for a Blackboard Fundamentals face to face course (offered throughout the year) please go to Knowledge Center (http://kc.uthscsa.edu).
- Staff -who wish to have the same full editing privileges as an instructor must complete a 3 session, face to face, BbLearn Certification for Staff course. Upon completion, staff name may be entered with a STAFF role into the course data entry in the PeopleSoft Campus Solutions system. However, the STAFF role will appear as a TEACHING ASSISTANT in the Blackboard course. Go to Knowledge Center to sign up for the BbLearn Certification for satff course (via Course Catalog / Academics).
- It is recommended that faculty who teach in an online or blended Blackboard course take the 40 hour BbLearn - Certification for Faculty course which extends over a 10 week period.. The course is offered two times per semester; one version of the course is presented in a totally online format and second version of the course is in a blended learning (50% online, 50% face to face in a weekly 2 hr. classroom) format. To register for a either version of the course please go to Knowledge Center (http://kc.uthscsa.edu)
Training Options listed on the Knowledge Center
- Additionally, there are numerous short, practical video tutorials from Blackboard available from the BbLearn entry page at bblearn.uthscsa.edu under Faculty Toolkit and How-to Videos.
Register Through the Knowledge Center
- BbLearn-Blended format - Online & Blended Learning Certification for Faculty
- BbLearn-Online format - Online & Blended Learning Certification for Faculty
- BbLearn Certification for Staff
- BbLearn Fundamentals
- Workshops on a specific Blackboard Tool: File Management, Content Creation, Communication Tools, Assignment, Assessment, Grading Center, Respondus Test Bank Tool, or SoftChalk Content Creation Tool.
- Additionally, OBL offers workshops in topics specific to online and blended learning: How to create effective Discussion Boards and Wikis, Creating Effective Rubrics, Multimedia, etc.
- Go to https://kc.uthscsa.edu and login using your UT Health Science Center domain and password
- From your Personal KC page, click on the Course Catalog tab
- From the list on the left panel select the plus sign (+) next to "Academics"
- Click the "Enroll" button to enroll in any of the Blackboard courses
- All workshops are held in the DENT 3.464T Faculty Resource Center, unless otherwise noted
Cost: There is no cost for attending workshops.
Customized Training Requirements can be arranged. Please contact Online and Blended Learning Director, Dr. Aggie Manwell-Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org.