Faculty and Staff Training and Development in Online and Blended Learning Technologies
PENDING FACULTY SENATE AND DEAN ENDORSEMENT.
The Online and Blended Learning (OBL) Team of Information Management Services (IMS) provides course design consultation and assistance, technology training for Blackboard Learn, tools and training on software used in developing e-learning or blended (up to 80% online and atleast 20% face-to-face) learning materials.
Course Design Consultation
- An OBL team member can meet with faculty one-on-one to discuss how Blackboard and our Online and Blended Learning Team can support your online and blended teaching efforts
- Each official course (a course with an official course number which is created by the REGISTRAR) may receive up to 2 hours instructional design consultation from an OBL team member.
Faculty / Staff Development Workshops - ATS offers workshops on a variety of Blackboard and instructional technology related topics. In spring of 2013, as a result of an audit by UT Internal Audit, the Vice President of Academic, Faculty and Student Affairs issued the following training requirements for individuals requesting INSTRUCTOR status in a Blackboard course.
- Faculty - faculty members requesting an INSTRUCTOR role in any Blackboard course must complete a one hour Fundamentals Training by a Bb team member. This can be completed face to face in a group classroom or private office format, per telephone/shared desktop or video-conference. To register for a Blackboard Fundamentals face to face course (offered almost weekly throughout the year) please go to Knowledge Center (http://kc.uthscsa.edu). For all other training options please contact Mary Yanes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Faculty requesting an INSTRUCTOR role in an ONLINE Blackboard course (defined as 80% or more of the content is completed online) must complete the 40 hour Online and Blended Learning Certification Course - The course is offered two times per semester; one version of the course is presented in an online format and second version of the course is in a blended learning (50% online, 50% face to face) format. To register for a either version of the course please go to Knowledge Center (http://kc.uthscsa.edu)
- Staff - who wish to have instructor status in BbLearn must complete the BbLearn Certification for Staff
course. Go to Knowledge Center to sign up for the BbLearn Staff Certification course (via Course Catalog / Academics).
Training Options listed on the Knowledge Center
- Additionally, there are over 50 short, practical video tutorials from Blackboard available from the BbLearn entry page at www.bblearn.uthscsa.edu under Faculty Toolkit and How-to Videos.
Register Through the Knowledge Center
- BbLearn-Blended format - Online & Blended Learning Certification for Faculty
- BbLearn-Online format - Online & Blended Learning Certification for Faculty
- BbLearn Certification for Staff
- BbLearn Fundamentals
- Workshops on a specific Blackboard Tool: File Management, Content Creation, Communication Tools, Assignment, Assessment, Grading Center, Respondus Test Bank Tool, or SoftChalk Content Creation Tool.
- Additionally, OBL offers workshops in topics specific to online and blended learning: How to create effective Discussion Boards and Wikis, Creating Effective Rubrics, Multimedia, etc.
- Go to https://kc.uthscsa.edu and login using your UT Health Science Center domain and password
- From your Personal KC page, click on the Course Catalog tab
- From the list on the left panel select the plus sign (+) next to "Academics"
- Click the "Enroll" button to enroll in any of the Blackboard courses
- All workshops are held in the DENT 3.464T Faculty Resource Center
Cost: There is no cost for attending workshops.
Customized faculty development can be arranged. Please contact Online and Blended Learning Director Aggie Manwell-Jackson at email@example.com.